Tuesday 1 February 2011

Studio Photoshoot: Emilie & Lynn

On Sunday, my good friend Hani and myself set up a studio with three speedlights and a white backdrop and invited a couple of students I'd met for a photoshoot. They were great. Our ability to achieve a pure white background was less great. I was happy with the light on our subject Emilie, but to get the white background I had to use the colour range tool in Photoshop CS4 to turn the muddy grey background, white. This is an area we really have to work on.

Below, are two images illustrating the results of the colour range tool where the subject is then isolated and put onto a white background. I chose as my base background image, a photograph of our background with the exposure increased enough to blow out large parts of the image but to leave some shadow detail. I didn't want a completely blown-out white background but something with some information.